Afternoon of Friday 1 December 2023, Grand Connaught Rooms, London
The annual meeting for AvMA Specialist Clinical Negligence Panel members provides the opportunity to meet, network and discuss the latest key developments and issues facing clinical negligence law. This year’s meeting will take place on the afternoon of Friday 1st December 2023, at the Grand Connaught Rooms, London. Registration and a networking lunch will commence at 12.30, with the meeting starting at 13.30 and closing at approximately 17.00.
*Please note this event is for AvMA Accredited Panel Members only.
12.30 Registration & networking lunch
13.30 AvMA Update
Paul Whiteing, Chief Executive, AvMA
13.50 Fixed Recoverable Costs in Lower Damages Clinical Negligence Claims
Alexander Hutton KC, Barrister, Hailsham Chambers
14.30 Churchill v Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council – changing the landscape in relation to mediation and other forms of ADR?
- Developing the Independent Evaluation model for clinical negligence claims
- CJC direction on ADR
- Personal experiences of ADR in clinical negligence claims
- The strengths of mediation over RTMs
- What clinical negligence cases best suit mediation?
- What place does Early Neutral Evaluation have in clinical negligence?
Simon Dyer KC, Barrister, Cloisters, & Independent Evaluation
15.35 HSSIB / The Maternity and Newborn Safety Investigations Programme
- HSSIB – what will HSSIB look like moving forward, and how might things change, particularly around disclosure?
- MNSI and potential pros and cons of being within the CQC. Will MNSI maintain relationships with NHSR and ENS?
Dr Rosie Benneyworth, Chief Investigator, HSSIB; & Sandy Lewis, Associate Director for MNSI
16.15 The law on informed consent following the Supreme Court’s decision in McCulloch and others v Forth Valley Health Board
Ben Collins KC, Barrister, Old Square Chambers; & Sophie Beesley, Barrister, Old Square Chambers
16.55 Close of meeting
Please note this event is now closed.
December 1, 2023
12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Venue: Grand Connaught Rooms