Case studies

Over the years AvMA has supported numerous patients and their families, affected by medical accidents, providing them with free and confidential advice and support.

Here you will find a small collection of some of our patient stories, all of which underline the vital importance of patient safety and justice.

We are grateful to those families we have worked with and who have given us permission to share their stories.

If you have been helped by AvMA and would like to share your story
please contact us.

George Robson 100x100George’s story

Errors in prescribing led to George’s death after he suffered head injuries following a fall


Heather’s story

Heather suffered permanent damage as a result of negligent treatment in hospital


Lyndsey HoltLyndsey’s story

Lyndsey died following medication errors and a failure of the ambulance pre-alert system


Chloe 100x100Chloe’s story

Two year old Chloe died after a major teaching hospital failed to diagnose meningitis


Rod’s story

A mistake when inserting a medical implant led to years of additional suffering and pain for Rod


Stuart Hurrell 100x100Stuart’s story

When the hospital ran out of a vital medication, Stuart suffered fatal muscle damage and kidney failure


Mrs Von Abendorff 100x100Richard’s story

Following the death of his mother, Richard campaigned for improved safety and continues to call for better end of life care


RuthRuth’s story

Ruth’s son was left with devastating disabilities following a badly mismanaged labour


MSM’s story

A GP’s prescription mix up led to the death of a young boy from asthma


Baby EBaby E’s story

Short staffing and delays in treatment highlighted in the death of a baby girl


Mr KMr K’s story

Misdiagnosis and the insertion of an unnecessary chest drain led to the death of an elderly man


Mr B’s story

Surgical errors led to Mr B’s death following an operation for oesophageal cancer


Lisa Richards Everton 100x100Lisa’s story

Lisa talks about the help she received from AvMA after her husband Paul died from an overdose of medication