We are delighted to announce that this popular AvMA conference is returning on 19th January 2023 in Liverpool. The programme of excellent speakers will discuss and analyse the key areas currently under the spotlight in Cerebral Palsy and Brain Injury Cases so that lawyers are aware of the challenges required to best represent their clients.
09.15 Registration and refreshments
10.00 Chair’s Welcome and Introduction
Bill Braithwaite KC, Barrister, Exchange Chambers
10.05 Obstetrics: Obstructed/ Delayed Labour and Cerebral Palsy
Dr Teresa Kelly, Consultant Obstetrician, St Mary’s Hospital, Manchester
• Definition of obstructed labour
• Causes of obstructed labour
• Use of Syntocinon
• How can problems be avoided
10.50 Current Issues in Cerebral Palsy & Brain Injury Claims
Chris Barnes KC & Matthew Stockwell, Barristers, Exchange Chambers
11.50 The Use of MRI in Neonatology
Professor Topun Austin, Consultant Neonatologist, Cambridge Neuroscience, & Honorary Professor of Neurophotonics, University College London
• Practicalities of performing MRIs in neonatology
• Experience with a NICU scanner
• BAPM working group – framework for practice on neonatal MRI
13.40 Neonatalogy: Use of Magnesium Sulphate for Neuroprotection in Pre-Term Birth PReCePT Project
Professor Karen Luyt, Professor in Neonatal Medicine, University of Bristol
• Aims of the project
• How does magnesium protect the neonatal brain?
• What are the results of PReCePT?
14.25 Paediatric Orthopaedics Problems in Cerebral Palsy
Mr Simon Thomas, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust
• Muscular problems in cerebral palsy and their management
• Joint problems in cerebral palsy
• Orthopaedic solutions: what to do and when?
15.30 Ophthalmic Problems in Cerebral Palsy
Ms Jane Ashworth, Consultant Ophthalmologist, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
• Eye conditions commonly seen in cerebral palsy
• Treatment options and when to do them
• Long term outcome
16.15 Maximising Hourly Rates and Tactical Budgeting in CP and Brain Injury Litigation
Daniel Goddard, Head of Legal Costs Training, Partners in Costs
16.50 Close of conference
Please note, this conference has been rescheduled from 1st November.
Kindly sponsored by:
January 19, 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm