Benefits of joining for solicitor firms
AvMA welcomes subscriptions from solicitors and barristers. If you are not a member and would like details of the subscription rates, please email Norika Patel, our Lawyers’ Service Administrator and PA to Lisa O’Dwyer, Director of Medico-Legal Services.
- AvMA Expert Database: AvMA maintains one of the most comprehensive databases of the best and most experienced medical experts in the field of clinical negligence litigation. Experts are not able to pay to be on our database, they are assessed and vetted by our experienced staff. Once on our data base we then monitor feedback from solicitors who have used them. Should you need assistance, we can also offer you a bespoke service, with help from our team of experienced lawyers and medically trained staff who can help you identify the right expert for your case. We guarantee to respond to requests within 7 working days and usually turn around requests within 24 hours. Your membership gives you unlimited access to the experts on our data base although only two relevant experts per discipline will be provided at any one time.
- Free regular updates and Newsletter: Members of AvMA are kept up to date with e-mail news alerts about important policy developments and case law. They receive AvMA’s newsletter three times a year which is packed with important information on clinical negligence, medico-legal and policy issues.
- Lawyers’ Support Group Meetings (LSGs): Are free to all lawyer service members in England and Wales. They involve an hour’s presentation from a medical expert and a barrister with specialist knowledge on topical medical and legal issues. They are an excellent opportunity to network and exchange ideas. They are held regionally three times a year in London; Midlands; the South West (including Wales); North West and in the North of England. They carry CPD points and set in a friendly, collegiate environment which provides the opportunity to interact and share experiences with other solicitors and barristers practising in this field.
- Discounts attending AvMA’s cutting edge training and conferences for clinical negligence lawyers, and publications: AvMA’s training & events are the well-established market leaders in the field of clinical negligence. As well as the largest and most important conference for lawyers in clinical negligence – AvMA’s Annual Clinical Negligence Conference – there are a range of one day conferences all geared to the needs of medical negligence practitioners and their staff. For firms further afield or restrained to the office, staff from your firm can also benefit from AvMA’s webinar series without even leaving the office. All attract CPD points.
- Discounted subscription to The Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management: Members of AvMA also receive a 48% discount if they subscribe to The Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management, the international journal aimed at lawyers and clinicians alike where case studies and experiences are shared and complex medico-legal and patient safety issues are explored.
- Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) discounted membership rates. In summary the key benefits of RSM membership are:- Discounted or free attendance at RSM events- 24/7 access to the RSM’s library with over 600,000 volumes- Online access to over 6,000 full text ejournals , 7,500+ ebooks and six major medical databases- Access to over 800 videos of key RSM lectures – free to view
– Exclusive members’ only club facilities in central London – with Lounge Bar, restaurant (private dining rooms available free of hire charge) and an onsite hotel (rooms rates staring at just £106)
– Access to over 50 reciprocal clubs both in the UK and overseas
– A range of other related discounts on medical study tours, home insurance, gym membership, Apple products and much more.
Full details of the benefits and how to apply can be found at: www.rsm.ac.uk/avma
- AvMA Lawyers Service Membership Logo 2018-19: as a subscriber to Lawyers’ Service you are entitled to display the AvMA membership logo shown on your website for the current subscription year, subject to compliance with the Guidelines.
- Free listing on AvMA’s ‘Find a Solicitor’ website for firms in Ireland and Scotland: Members of AvMA in Ireland and Scotland who sign our Code of Conduct (Ireland) (Scotland) can also have a free listing on our ‘Find a Solicitor’ website, designed to help claimants find specialist medical negligence solicitors.
Working with AvMA: Just about every law firm in the UK specialising in clinical negligence are members of AvMA. It is one of the ways a firm demonstrates its commitment to this area of law. Being a patients’ charity with significant profile AvMA also enjoys considerable influence with policy makers, which lawyers and their organisations on their own cannot. By joining AvMA you are also helping ensure that AvMA’s voice in fighting for access to justice continues to be strong. AvMA has a proven track record in influencing policy and our work is directly informed by our members. In the last two years alone AvMA has campaigned for and succeeded (through judicial review and lobbying) in securing at least some legal aid for clinical negligence. We have been instrumental in providing support to families affected by the hospital scandals in Stafford and Bridgend as well as being at the forefront in the campaign for and securing a statutory Duty of Candour. We continue to work on behalf of claimants and their representatives with bodies such as the Ministry of Justice, NHSLA and the Legal Aid Agency.